adbrite

Sabado, Nobyembre 5, 2011

Birth of an Heirloom


            Jed Sutter, a physician’s assistant from Milton, Massachusetts, joins the two arm sections of an arts and crafts-inspired chair. Bob Ouelette, a master craftsman at Thos. Moser cabinetmakers, helped Jed align the gleaming curves of cherry wood. Jed’s father David Sutter, a retired engineer works on a matching armchair with Dona DeBlois, another Moser cabinetmaker. “I have been a hobby wood maker all my life, and thought that I knew a thing or two. But this past week, I got invaluable tips and learned some great shortcuts” says the elder Sutter.
            The two are members of the latest class of Thos. Moser’s customer in residence program. The program paired each participant with a Moser cabinetmaker; in Jed’s case it’s Ouelette, “because Bob is the expert on this particular chair.” Jed explains. John Carey, a surgeon came to build a trapezoidal captain’s chest. “My grandfather was a ship’s captain. This piece already has great meaning for me. And, my children and grandchildren will use it long after I’m gone.” Carey says.
            Thomas Moser’s furniture evokes that kind of passion. In 1972, Moser was a Bates college professor of speech who decided to take a year off to try furniture making. “Old furniture, as well as old architecture, was a burning passion: I needed to make things with my hands. When I was still teaching, I made reproductions of Georgian furniture; every so often someone would buy a piece.” He says.
            In 1977, Moser wrote How to Make Shaker Furniture and introduced the Continuous Arm Chair. It became instant classics. The book is out of print, but the demand for the chair has never abated. Today tables, beds, case pieces, upholstered chairs and sofas, kitchen stools, and chaise lounges with matching ottomans flow out of the 70,000-square-foot plant in Auburn, Maine.



Armchair



                                          Moser Cabinetmaker

0 (mga) komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

All of the articles posted in this blog are copyrighted materials.. Pinapagana ng Blogger.

About Me

Aking larawan
Cavite, region IV, Philippines
Good day readers and fellow bloggers, I’m Jazzreel Lou Cajulis. I’m a graduate of Architecture Technology and I’m 20 years old now. My preferred architectural style was MCM or Mid-Century Modern Architecture. I love its mix of old or antique furniture blended with a sophisticated interior modern design of architecture. What can I say about myself was I am a hardcore anime and manga fan. I love taking pictures of gorgeous cosplayers. Meeting new friends from online social networking sites, blogging, and in person makes me happy. The types of music that I like are Jpop, Jrock, and Kpop. My favourite artists are YUI and YeSung. My special skill when it comes to drawing is watercolour painting using poster colour paint (it is often called opaque drawing if I’m right). I’m having a hard time improving my skills more in the areas of pen and ink drawing. I also specialize in AutoCAD drafting when it comes to Architectural 3D modelling and Rendering. Thank you very much for reading this “About Me” section.

paidtopromote

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Logo